HOW TO GET FOOD
(Click here to download this information as a PDF flyer to share with clients and colleagues)
- The ONLY question we ask those who want to receive food is: “Are you hungry?” If the answer is yes, we feed you. It’s really as simple as that. No, we do not need to see, nor do we care to see, any kind of documentation, or any kind of proof of need. You may use our services as long as you need to, as often as you need to. Please read more about our philosophy here.
- The first step to getting food is to check the delivery calendar.
- Then, you must call or text the Food Gnomes hotline at (716) 218-8349. Please follow the instructions on the voicemail system closely. You will not be able to talk to a real live person when you call.
- If the list is open, the system will ask you for your name, cell phone number, full address (including apartment information, and zip code), and an accurate count of the number of people in the home so we might try to accommodate you as best we can.
- We will also ask for the number of cats/dogs that may be in the home so that we can provide you with some pet food for them if we have any in stock.
- This is the time to make any special requests as well.
- While we wish we could say that we’d be able to honor any/all requests that we receive (i.e. gluten free, low sodium), our ability to do so depends upon whatever has been donated that week.
- We also cannot provide enough food to restock an entire refrigerator or pantry. We are usually able to give out 1-2 bags per home, depending on the donations received. We are more than happy to provide referrals to a Health Home, or to other food resources in the area whose philosophy is similar to ours, if you request and/or require them.
- If the list is closed, we will ask for only your name and cell phone number so that we can send you a notification text to let you know when the list opens up again. The dates that the lists open are also listed on the calendar.
- You will not receive an immediate call back.
- Being added to our delivery list is on a FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE basis (based upon our phone system’s time stamp of when you contacted us in relation to others).
- The list will be open until we reach the maximum amount of people that we can serve that coming weekend. That amount is determined by pantry levels, drivers, volunteers, and other operational concerns.
- Anyone calling or texting before our list is open, or after our list is closed will be added to the announcement list for our next delivery and will be texted* when the next delivery list opens (again, this information is also listed on the calendar).
- Calling or texting to be added to this list does not guarantee you delivery; all messages and texts are compared to their timestamps in order to check the order in which they were received.
- We will send you a text message confirming delivery on the day that we are going out. By calling or texting us you are confirming with us, in advance, that you will be home between the hours of 3:30-8pm or that you are okay with us leaving a parcel on your front porch/by your door if we are unable to reach you.
- If you are not able to be added to the delivery list you will be notified in advance. Please note that notifications happen as our VOLUNTEERS are able to get to them (usually once or twice a week).
- All deliveries are made on Sundays between 3:30-8pm.
- IF YOU ARE CALLING OR TEXTING ON BEHALF OF A CLIENT YOU MUST LEAVE THEIR TELEPHONE NUMBER, ALONG WITH THEIR COMPLETE NAME AND ADDRESS (INCLUDING APARTMENT/UPPER/LOWER/REAR/ETC.) AND ZIP CODE, IN ORDER FOR YOUR CLIENTS TO RECEIVE SERVICES. PROVIDING A CLIENT’S NAME AND ADDRESS ONLY IS INSUFFICIENT INFORMATION FOR US TO PROVIDE YOUR CLIENTS WITH SERVICES. CLIENT SELF REFERRALS ARE ENCOURAGED AND PREFERRED.
*If you cannot receive text messages, please let us know and we will accommodate you.
While it happens rarely, services may be denied at any time, for any reason, with or without explanation. Generally this occurs due to abuse of Food Gnomes, either as an organization, or the staff. This decision is not taken lightly, and is at the discretion and consensus of the Leadership Team.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.